Performs CLIA moderately complex testing on patient specimens. Analyzes test results for accuracy, acceptability, and critical limits. Evaluates and resolves technical problems requiring independent judgment and critical thinking skills. Performs and evaluates quality control and quality assurance functions. Demonstrates ability to work unsupervised or with minimal supervision, sometimes in a stressful environment. Participates in other laboratory functions as required.
- Complies with HIPAA and OSHA rules and regulations.
- Ability and knowledge to perform clinical laboratory procedures in a moderately complex laboratory. Performs laboratory testing exactly as instructed in laboratory procedures. Recognizes test inconsistencies and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- Correlates abnormal results to clinical states, determining need for additional testing or action prior to validation of results
- Accurately reports test results in the electronic medical record in a timely manner. Brings test results to attention of ordering physician or nurse when needed (i.e. critical values.)
- Cooperates with facility healthcare personnel and complies with policies and procedures.
- Maintains records which demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Is able to identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or test result reporting and correcting the problem or notifying the technical consultant if necessary.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- Communicates test results, specimen requirements, and technical information to other staff as needed, including doctors, nurses, phlebotomists.
- Follows quality assurance guidelines and maintains patient confidentiality
- Process and prepare specimens for shipment to reference lab.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with physicians, patients, employees, and the public.
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills. Always presents a professional image.
- Read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to do detailed and accurate work. Organizational skills and attention to detail. Utilizes time management skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Problem solving, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Answer telephone in a professional manner.
- Recognize, evaluate, solve problems and correct errors.
- Maintain productivity and work independently.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Medical Technology or Laboratory Science or High school graduate or equivalent AND completed military Medical Lab Specialist (50 week) course
- MT(ASCP)/MLS(ASCP) or MLT (ASCP) certified or equivalent
- Prefer minimum 1 year laboratory experience but will consider registry eligible. (If registry eligible candidate hired, employee will be required to pass the registry exam within one year after hire to maintain the position.)
- Varied activities including sitting, walking, stooping, lifting, bending, reaching. Occasional stress from workload. Must be able to use a variety of office equipment including phone, writing instruments, PC, fax and medical equipment including stethoscope, Xray machine, eye washing equipment, blood pressure cuff.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER